My Jamaican mom has been spreading Avocado on bread longer than I’ve known her. While it’s a #trend here in the U.S. as of late, this is nothing new to Caribbean people.
Growing up, I actually hated avocado. I was repulsed by it.
It wasn’t until my 30’s that I actually found a tastebud that could tolerate it . . . .with conditions.
The avocado had to be seasoned. I still won’t eat it plain.
So while lemon, salt and a lil Haitian epis will always hit the spot, I made this Moroccan inspired Avocado Toast for a catering event and I knew I hit the jack pot with this recipe.
Recipe in video starts at minute 5:13
Harissa Chickpea Avocado Toast
Moroccan inspired Avocado toast with Harissa and chickpeas.
- 2 Avocadoes +2 Avocadoes
- 2 can garbanzo beans
- 2 TB Harissa Paste
- 1/2 lemon (juiced) + 1/2 lemon (for squeezing later)
- salt to taste
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Shawarma spice, I use New York Shuk brand (if you don’t have this, use All Purpose Seasoning)
- 4 Pita Breads
- 2 tsp mixed dried herbs (Italian Seasoning, Herbs de Provence, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Rinse both cans of chickpeas
- PREPARE ROASTED CHICKPEAS
- Combine 1 can of chickpeas with turmeric, smoked paprika, ground cumin, Shawarma spice, pinch of salt and a bit of olive oil.
- Spread evenly on a non-stick roasting sheet or cookie sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until crispy.
- PREPARE AVOCADO SPREAD
- To a food processor add 2 avocados, the remaining can of chickpeas, Harissa paste, lemon.
- Pulse a few times to break down and incorporate ingredients. It should be chunky.
- At this point, taste it. It will need salt. Add some salt. Pulse once. Taste again. Does it need more? If yes, add some more, pulse again and then taste. Repeat if more salt is necessary.
- You may be wondering why I won’t tell you how much salt to add . . . . considering the chickpeas are soaked in brine and lemon juice is added, it’s challenging to say how much you need. Only you can determine that.
- Once salted just right, add to a bowl and drizzle a lil olive oil over the Chickpea Avocado mix. At this point, you essentially have Harissa Avocado Hummus. But we won’t stop here.
- PREPARE YOUR PITA
- Mix your dried herbs and olive oil in a small bowl and using a brush, brush the herb oil mixture on each pita bread.
- Prepare a griddle or large frying pan by heating until the surface is hot.
- Add your pita and dry roast on both sides until lightly browned and with a slight crisp.
- PREPARE YOUR AVOCADO TOAST
- Spread your Harissa Avocado Hummus on each pita. Top with 1/2 of an avocado, thinly sliced and slightly spread on top. Add some roasted chickpeas for crunch. Top with a few dollops of Harissa pasts. Sprinkle on more dried herbs. Finish each toast with a spritz of lemon.