One of the things about switching your diet due to health challenges . . . is that you can miss all the things you love to eat.
A lot of you have told me that you can’t eat rice due to experiencing diabetes.
The challenge? YOU GREW UP ON RICE! It’s a staple. It’s in your DNA. No meal is complete without it.
I get it.
And because I don’t believe in eating boring foods (even if your health “depends” on it), I found a way for your to have your cake…err rice and eat it too!
Introducing Cauliflower Rice and Peas
If you’ve ever had Cauliflower Rice…you may have not loved it.
Perhaps you thought it did a poor job of replicating rice. Well that’s because it wasn’t cooked properly and the texture was too soft and mushy.
I’ve figured out a way around that. Instead of mushy foolishness, we have “rice” textured goodness.
Watch the video to see how we accomplish texture and the real authentic Jamaican taste.
Cauliflower Rice and Peas (Jamaican Style)
Jamaican style Cauliflower Rice and Peas
- 12 oz cauliflower rice, frozen
- 8 oz brown lentils, cooked
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/5 scotch bonnet (no seeds – literally cut the 1/5 of the pepper and use that slice)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup scallion (diced)
- 1 TB fresh thyme leaves
- 1 TB green seasoning (in lieu of garlic, scallion, thyme)
- salt to taste
- 2 TB coconut oil
- Blend garlic cloves, scallion, thyme, coconut milk and scotch bonnet
- Blend coconut milk, green seasoning and scotch bonnet (if green seasoning does not already have pepper in it)
- Heat a skillet and warm up oil
- Add cauliflower rice and make sure it’s in an even layer. Allow it to toast over medium heat.
- During this time, the cauliflower should be “drying” out. You will see a lot of steam, this is the moisture evaporating.
- Once you see that the cauliflower is a bit “dryer” and toasted add the lentils and mix to make sure there is no visible moisture.
- Now add coconut milk seasoning blend, reduce heat and do not cover.
- Let simmer until cauliflower takes on the flavor and most liquid evaporates.
- Remove from heat and enjoy.
Looks beautiful served in Red, Green and Yellow Pepper Bowls 🙂