Go ahead, let it out. That breath your holding because this looks so delicious.
Honey! These Jerk Chicken Nachos right here!!!
I created this out of a strong need to eat something I enjoy.
When I decided to lose weight I made myself several promises.
“Thou shalt not eat nasty food” “Thou shalt find ways to make healthy food taste DELICIOUS” “Thou shalt have a party in your mouth at every meal” Let the party begin.
Welcome to Jamaica and Mexico folks.
These nachos were too special for just regulah old grilled chicken. I had to spice things up with Jerk seasoning.
Tortilla chips alone would have been too blah, so I added some plantain and cassava chips to the nice up the mix. Now, I remember that you and I have waistlines to look out for, so I had to get creative with the cheese and sour cream. These are both mandatory ingredients on nachos so I wasn’t gonna give them up completely.
Even though the cheese and sour cream are the fattiest ingredients — the fat is where the flavor is. I don’t ever sacrifice taste for calories. Bump that, here’s what I do instead.
We’re just gonna take it to the next level. So I created an avocado cream to make up for both the cheese and the sour cream. I used greek yogurt which is lower in fat, yet still has that “pungency” that cheese and sour cream typically contribute to nachos. I also added queso fresco, a traditional Mexican cheese. Yes Lawd! When I tell you the excitement that raced through my cells when I took my first bite was uncontainable!
I know you’re gonna dig this. If you’re the type that dances because the food is so good, then get ready to buss a dutty whine!Print
Jerk Chicken Nachos
A Jamaican inspired nacho recipe with jerk spice, mango salsa, avocado sour cream and plantain chips
- 2lb of chicken thighs, boneless (may use breast as well I used 1 lb thighs)
- 28 oz plum tomatoes, canned
- ½ onion chopped or small onion
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1 heaping TB of jerk paste (I use mild) (important to use paste and not dry rub)
- 1 TB of smokey bbq sauce
- 1 packet Goya Sazon
- a few springs of thyme
- Salt to taste
- While using your favorite poaching method to poach your chicken, prepare your jerk sauce
- Puree tomatoes, onion and garlic in food processor or high speed blender. (I left a few chunks because I like to bite into onion pieces.)
- Add tomato puree to a large dutch pot and turn heat to low.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix well and let simmer. (If you’re daring and want more of a kick, add 1-2 more TB of jerk paste)
- Once finished poaching the chicken, remove from poaching liquid and shred the chicken.
- Once shredded add the chicken to the finished jerk sauce.
- Save the leftover poaching liquid in a clean tightly sealed glass jar and use wherever a recipe calls for chicken broth
- TO ASSEMBLE
- Layer a mix of plantain chips, cassava (yucca) chips and corn tortilla chips on a cookie sheet.
- Top with jerk chicken
- Add shredded cheddar cheese
- Place under broiler just long enough for cheese to melt.
- Remove from broiler and top with mango salsa, queso fresco and a drizzle or dollop of avocado cream.
A fresh blend of mangoes, red onion, tomatoes and lime!
1 mango, diced
½ red onion diced
2 roma tomatoes seeded and diced
¼ cup cilantro chopped
2 TB fresh lime juice
salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and salt to taste.
It is important to note that all of your ingredients should be diced the same size for a better dipping experience!
- Prep Time: 7
- Total Time: 7
- 1 avocado mashed
- ½ lime squeezed
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- salt to taste
- Mash avocado with lime juice and salt to taste. (Be sure to break up chunks)
- Mix in greek yogurt and set aside until ready to serve.