Vegan Crab Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce
- “Crab Cakes”
- 10 hearts of palm
- 1 cup toasted panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup chickpeas, canned
- seaweed powder, (let ancestors guide your hands for measurement)
- dulse, (let ancestors guide your hands for measurement)
- Old Bay seasoning, (let ancestors guide your hands for measurement)
- dill, (let ancestors guide your hands for measurement)
- Lemon juice OR Citrus garlic seasoning, (let ancestors guide your hands for measurement)
- minced garlic, (let ancestors guide your hands for measurement)
- 1–2 TB fresh minced parsley
- ROASTED RED PEPPER CREAM SAUCE
- 2 roasted red pepers
- 3/4 cup cashews
- enough hot water to cover cashews
- 1 .5 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 TB capers with juice
PREPARE ROASTED RED PEPPER CREAM SAUCE
- Add cashews to blender and then add in enough hot water to just cover them, followed by your roasted red pepper, smoked paprika, garlic, capers and caper juice.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Set aside and prepare your vegan crab cakes
VEGAN CRAB CAKES
- Drain and rinse your hearts of palm and add to food processor.
- Pulse 2-3 times to process the hearts of palm so that it looks like “crab meat”
- Add the processed hearts of palm to mixing bowl
- Rinse and drain your chickpeas and add to food processor.
- Pulse the chickpeas until they look like crumbles (not hummus).
- Add the chickpeas to the bowl of processed hearts of palm and mix together with a tip of the fork. This will form your “base” for your crab cake texture.
- At this point, you can season it. If you have your own crab cake recipe, then use that. Or feel free to continue on and use mine.
- Add seaweed powder and dulse this gives great minerals, sea nutrients and “fish” ey flavor
- Add your Old Bay seasoning
- Add lemon juice OR Citrus garlic seasoning.
- Add dill and garlic.
- Use the tip of your fork to mix all the seasonings around. By using the tip, you keep the shreds from becoming mushy.
- Lastly, add fresh chopped parsley
- Mix in, taste to ensure it’s seasoned how you like it.
- Add oil to your hands and begin to form patties.
- Dip them in your panko bread crumbs and then add to the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Pan fry them in (shallow oil) to crisp them, warm them and serve with Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce