Sometimes you just feel “some type of way”
As Erykah Badu once said, “You can pray till early May and fast for 30 days but it [just] won’t let go.”
That’s when you raid your fridge and cabinets or hit the corner store for that “fix”
A snack with a Sweet and Salty combination usually hits my spot.
I go into the psychological and emotional meaning of “why” I am drawn to those flavors here.
When you go through something and get that feeling you want to eat something that speaks to your soul.
Instead of beating yourself up about it or denying what it is you crave,
take your sweet and salty senses into the kitchen and make magic.
Dark Chocolate Cranberry Almond Kettle Corn
A great snack/treat to satisfy your sweet and salty taste buds.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup popcorn
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 3 TB coconut oil
- handful dried cranberries
- handful almonds
- zest of 1 orange
- Set aside a large bowl so that it is ready once popcorn is popped.
- Heat the oil in a large pot (with a lid) over medium heat.
- Add 3-4 kernels of corn to test the oil and cover the pot.
- Once all of the kernels have popped, the oil is ready and you may add the rest of the popcorn.
- Add your salt, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Cover the pot with lid and begin moving the pot in a circular motion over the fire so that the kernels are coated with the brown sugar/oil mixture. Constantly moving the pot, will keep the popcorn and the sugar from sticking and burning at the bottom.
- Once the popping begins to slow, remove the pot from the heat and quickly transfer the popcorn to the large bowl that you set aside earlier.
- Gently stir the popcorn in the bowl with a wooden spoon for a few minutes until it cools and is no longer sticky.
- Add your cranberries, almonds and orange zest.
- Pour and spread out evenly onto a large cookie sheet and let rest
- In a small pot, combine chocolate chips and 3 TB of coconut oil until melted.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn and place the tray in freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from freezer, break apart and enjoy!