Vegan Cardamom Vanilla Crème Brulee
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 –14-ounce can coconut milk
- ½ cup sugar plus 4 TB
- 15 green cardamom pods, seeded + 5 powdered
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- ½ tsp vanilla powder
- In a small pot combine coconut milk, ½ cup sugar and cardamom seeds and bring to a boil uncovered
- As soon as it comes to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain cardamom seeds and add powdered cardamom for flavor.
- Pour mixture back into pot over low heat
- Meanwhile mix cornstarch and non-dairy milk in separate bowl
- Slowly pour cornstarch mixture into pot while constantly whisking, it will begin to thicken. (takes about 1-2 minutes)
- Pour into 4 ramekin dishes and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight
- Once ready to serve, remove crème brulee and let stand until room temperature
- Mix vanilla powder and 4 TB of sugar, sprinkle in an even layer over crème brulee in ramekins. Shake to spread evenly
- Using a torch in a nice even circular motion approx 2 inches away, light those bad boys up until it bubbles and then turns golden brown. Be careful not to burn the sugar! Do not concentrate in one spot too long, remember to use circular motions.
- Let sit about 5 minutes allowing sugar to cool and form a crisp shell.