Vegan Caribbean Saltfish
A Caribbean inspired vegan saltfish recipe
- 2 14-oz jars/cans of hearts of palm, rinsed and shredded
- 1/4 cup orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/8 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/8 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup scallion, finely sliced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and diced
- 1” ginger, grated
- 1 TB garlic
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 TB seaweed powder
- himalayan pink sea salt or whichever salt you prefer to taste
- coconut oil for sautéing
- Heat 1/4 cup coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Sautee onion and scallion, until soft
- Next add all of your peppers and continue to sauté until soft
- Then add your tomatoes, scotch bonnet, ginger and garlic
- Once tomatoes are softening and juices begin releasing, add your thyme leaves
- Then add hearts of palm and mix around slowly to incorporate vegetables.
- Lastly add your seaweed and mix thoroughly
- Taste it now. What does it need? Does it need more of any vegetable seasoning? Does it need more seaweed? Does it need salt?
- Add what’s necessary.
- Once the flavor is just how your taste buds like it, then lower the heat and let the moisture in the pan cook out so that the hearts of palm dries out a bit and takes on a texture more similar to salt fish.