Got sweet plantains and want to remix dinner tonight?
While plantains are tasty on their own, this is my favorite way to eat them – stuffed with vegan ground beef, a zesty tomato sauce, melted vegan cheese and a crunchy pico de gallo!
Vegan Stuffed Sweet Plantains | Maduros Rellenos
This whips up in 3o -45 minutes and goes great with a side salad!
3-4 Sweet Plantains (yellow with a few black spots)
1 TB melted coconut oil with 1 clove of garlic grated
3/4 cup of veggie ground beef
Vegan cheese shreds
- 1 TB red onion, minced
- 1 TB tomato, minced
- 1 TB cilantro, finely chopped
- squeeze 1/2 of lime
- salt to taste
1 cup of tomato sauce
- 3 organic tomatoes (about the size of a small fist)
- 1/2 yellow onion (1/4 for blending + 1/4 chopped)
- 1/2 orange bell pepper + 1 TB finely chopped
- 2 TB green olives, finely chopped
- 1 TB Caribbean green seasoning (mine was made with cilantro, scotch bonnet, thyme, garlic, scallion and lime)
- coconut oil
- Himalayan pink sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Prepare plantains by slitting them (peel deep) down the middle and peeling them.
- Once peeled, use your knife and cut an opening down the middle of the plantain. It won’t split open completely at this point, but once baked it will open easily.
- Massage them in melted coconut oil with grated garlic
- Arrange plantains on parchment paper on a baking sheet and bake for 25-35 minutes
Prepare Tomato Sauce
- Blend tomatoes, 1/4 yellow onion and 1/2 orange bell pepper.
- Using medium high heat, and add about 2 TB of coconut oil to your pan.
- Once melted, add your green seasoning and remaining 1/4 chopped onion.
- Once onion is soft and green seasoning is fragrant (about 2 minutes) pour in your tomato blend.
- Add your chopped orange bell pepper and olives.
- Keep your heat on medium heat and reduce the sauce by half. You want the texture to be thick like in the video.
- Once the texture of the salt is as you want it, add salt to taste. It’s very important that you don’t add salt earlier, because as the sauce reduces the flavors consolidate and you don’t want to run the risk of having your sauce be too salty.
- Once salted to your liking, turn off heat and add in your veggie ground beef. Mix well.
Prepare Pico de Gallo
- Mix first 4 ingredients together.
- Salt to taste
Prepare your Maduros Rellenos | Stuffed Sweet Plantains
- At this point, your plantains will open up with ease. Gently spoon in your meat sauce. Top with cheese and return to the oven to melt cheese. (3-5 minutes will suffice)
- Top with pico de gallo
- Serve with side salad.
1/2 of a plantain is filling enough if being served with other sides.
Great for meal prep.