Mango Coconut Custard Steamed in Banana Leaves
- 12.3 oz firm tofu
- 8 oz. coconut cream
- 1/3 cup palm sugar
- 4 TB cornstarch
- 2 oz coconut milk
- 1 mango sliced
- 1 packet of frozen banana leaves, thawed
- Using food processor, puree all ingredients except mango until smooth.
- In the middle of a banana leaf, spoon ½ cup coconut custard mixture into leaf and top with mango slices until completely covered.
- Wrap banana leaf and place in steamer. There are different techniques to wrap banana leaves, I find it easier to wrap the banana leaf like you would a present. Be sure to handle gently because the leaves can tear and you don’t want to compromise the integrity of the actual custard filling by squeezing it too much.
- Preheat your steamer basket or steamer pot and place banana leaf packets in steamer. Steam for 30 minutes.
- Remove from steamer and let sit for ten minutes.
- Keep Mango Coconut Custard in banana leaves and serve, being careful to open the banana leaves away from you.
- May store in refrigerator. To reheat you may microwave, heat using steamer or let sit until room temperature and serve.
- Yields 5-6 servings