Vegan Dulce de Leche Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting and Caramel Drizzle
- 1 1/3 c. all purpose flour
- 1 c. almond milk
- ¾ c. succanat
- ¼ c. canola oil
- 1 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
For Dulce de Leche
- 1 c. Brown sugar
- ¼ c. Almond milk
- 2 T Vegan margarine
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 oz. margarine
- 1 ½ c powder sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare muffin tray.
- Pour almond milk in large bowl and whisk in apple cider vinegar, mixture will begin to curdle
- In larger bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix in sugar until combined
- Stir oil and vanilla into curdled milk mixture.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and beat just until combined. Do not over beat, as this will toughen cupcakes
- Fill muffin pan ¾ full and bake for 17-19 minutes
- While baking, prepare dulce de leche.
- Once cupcakes finish baking, remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before inserting dulce de leche.
For Dulce de Leche
- In a small pot combine brown sugar, almond milk and vegan margarine and stir on low heat. Simmer until thickened; be careful that the dulce de leche doesn’t bubble. If it does, remove from heat and stir.
- Using a baster, insert dulce de leche into cupcake. Once baster is inserted in pot, squeeze tip of baster so it is filled with dulce de leche. The baster will immediately become filled with dulce de leche once you release the tip of the baster. Remove from pot and insert baster in the center of the cupcake while squeezing tip of baster and slowly removing baster from the cupcake. Repeat, until all cupcakes are filled with dulce de leche.
- Let cool completely and frost with Cream Cheese Frosting and drizzle with left over caramel sauce.
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream cream cheese and margarine
- Beat in powdered sugar until creamy and fluffy.
- Yields 15 cupcakes.