Gluten Free Vegan Carrot Cake
A gluten-free carrot cake without white flour, white sugar and dairy butter.
- 6 oz. non-dairy butter
- 3 oz. coconut sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 oz gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder (I use aluminum free)
- 1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin spice
- 4 oz almond flour
- 4 oz. carrots, shredded
- 3 oz. raisins
- 3 oz. no-soak, dried apricots (I use unsulphured)
- 2 oz. chopped nuts (I use almonds)
Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup cashews soaked in water (min 4 hours – overnight)
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- maple syrup to sweeten
- salt to taste
For Carrot Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil and line a shallow 10×8 inch or 2 small round 6 inch baking pans with non-stick parchment paper.
- Cream the non-dairy butter and coconut sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in eggs and add a little flour after each addition.
- Add all the remaining ingredients for cake in order listed while the mixer continues to mix.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the mixture is cooked and a skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Once cooled, frost and decorate.
For Cream Cheese Cashew Frosting
- Using a blender, food processor or stick blender process cashews, lemon and maple syrup until creamy.
- Taste as you go along to ensure it meets your satisfaction. You may have to stop blender or food processor to scrape sides of container.
- Once desired creaminess is achieved, fold in coconut cream and sprinkle a little bit of salt to enhance flavor.