I know. I know.
You’re not supposed to give in to your cravings. You’re supposed to be defiant and resist them, right?
Cravings are your body’s signal that something is off. It could be physical (perhaps some sort of nutritional deficiency) or it could be emotional (perhaps you need to address an issue). Either way your body is trying to get your attention . . . so listen in!
In the case that it is emotional, I highly recommend that you grab your journal, talk to a friend or speak to your voice recorder about it. But what happens when you do all of that and you still want some damn cake?
Well by all means, you get into the kitchen and you bake one!Print
Gluten Free Vegan Carrot Cake
A gluten-free carrot cake without white flour, white sugar and dairy butter.
- 6 oz. non-dairy butter
- 3 oz. coconut sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 oz gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder (I use aluminum free)
- 1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin spice
- 4 oz almond flour
- 4 oz. carrots, shredded
- 3 oz. raisins
- 3 oz. no-soak, dried apricots (I use unsulphured)
- 2 oz. chopped nuts (I use almonds)
Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup cashews soaked in water (min 4 hours – overnight)
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- maple syrup to sweeten
- salt to taste
For Carrot Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil and line a shallow 10×8 inch or 2 small round 6 inch baking pans with non-stick parchment paper.
- Cream the non-dairy butter and coconut sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in eggs and add a little flour after each addition.
- Add all the remaining ingredients for cake in order listed while the mixer continues to mix.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the mixture is cooked and a skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Once cooled, frost and decorate.
For Cream Cheese Cashew Frosting
- Using a blender, food processor or stick blender process cashews, lemon and maple syrup until creamy.
- Taste as you go along to ensure it meets your satisfaction. You may have to stop blender or food processor to scrape sides of container.
- Once desired creaminess is achieved, fold in coconut cream and sprinkle a little bit of salt to enhance flavor.