Made a New Year, New You Resolution? But your cravings for Sweet and Creamy won’t let you live?
I got you.
Before you reach for pudding or ice-cream or anything of the sort – let’s try this.
It’s soup (not dessert) but it hits all the sweet spots you crave.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Apple, Rosemary and Pumpkin Seed Brittle
A creamy, delightful butternut squash soup. Great as an appetizer.
- 1.5 cups butternut squash, chopped (save the seeds)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 TB rosemary, minced
- Balsamic vinengar
- Coconut oil
- Coconut milk
- Butternut squash seeds
- brown sugar
- Get into the kitchen and roast 1.5 cups of chopped Butternut Squash with coconut oil at 375 for 20 minutes. 🕓
- Concurrently, mix the squash seeds with a bit of brown sugar and coconut oil and roast them in the oven on a separate baking pan to make a brittle.
- While the oven is baking love into every bite of that squash and crisping your brittle, grab a pot and sauté 1 minced shallot in coconut oil.
- Add a diced apple (I used gala) 🍎and let the two of them meld a bit and become friends.
This is the beginning of your flavorful Apple compote that’s gonna bring all of that sweet and savory goodness to this soup.🙌🏾
- Once they’ve softened, add a splash of balsamic vinegar and 1 TB of minced Rosemary. 🍃Let them mingle for a minute and then taste it.😋
Do you need to adjust the flavor profile? This is your chance to throw away rules and exact measurements and let your taste buds do the directing.
Is it too savory? Add more Apple or a splash of maple syrup.
Is it too sweet? Add more balsamic vinegar and a bit of salt.
Is it perfect?
- Now add enough coconut milk to your shallot apple compote and form a broth base for your soup. I added 1/2 can and then I added about 1/4 cup water.
Taste it. 😋
How is it?
Is it watered down?
Adjust with more seasoning if you need.
- Now your squash should be finished.🙌🏾 Add it to your Apple-Shallot-Coconut cream broth base and blend over low heat using a stick blender until you get the desired creaminess.👅
- I served mine with more chopped rosemary, green onion and a brittle that I made from the roasted butternut squash seeds, brown sugar and coconut oil.
Because my friend is a crab lover – I put a little Stone Crab on top.
It worked out well 😋
This recipe is a vibe. Some ingredients can’t be measured, just felt. This soup requires you to be present over prescriptive. Get in the kitchen and have fun.