Coconut Ginger Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¾ cup succanat
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 TB grated ginger (2 TB for a strong ginger cake)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ powder sugar
- ¼ cup coconut butter
- 2 TB vegan margarine
- 2 TB coconut oil
- 2 TB coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare cupcake pans
- Whisk apple cider vinegar in coconut milk and let rest
- Using a food processor, process succanat and grated ginger for about 30 seconds. The sugar should be crumbly with a strong ginger smell
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl
- Mix in ginger sugar to flour mixture
- While mixing add coconut milk, coconut oil alternately starting and ending with milk
- Do not overbeat.
- Spoon mixture into cupcake pans and bake for 17-19 minutes.
- While baking cupcakes, prepare frosting. Cream margarine and coconut butter.
- Add ¾ cup powder sugar and mix
- Add 1 TB of coconut oil and 1 TB coconut milk while continuously mixing
- Add rest of powder sugar and continue to mix
- Add remaining coconut oil and coconut milk and mix until incorporated.